This article, originally written on CATO Networks, describes how to replace an existing X1500 Socket with an X1700 Socket. This is also in reference to the previous Q&A post by IPknowledge – Replacing an X1500 socket without downtime
When you unassign and remove the X1500 from your account, the Internet will not be available anymore for that site. All connectivity will be restored after the X1700 Socket is assigned to the site. Replacing a Socket can cause downtime for a site, and we recommend that you schedule it during a maintenance window.
If the unassigned X1700 Socket is behind an existing Socket, make sure to configure Source Bypass rules to allow direct Internet access from the X1700 Socket to the Internet. Activating a new Socket when behind an active Socket isn’t supported.
The X1500 Socket ports translate to the following ports on the X1700 Socket:
- WAN1 to Port 1
- WAN2 to Port 2
- LAN1 to Port 3
- LAN2 to Port 4
The ports above are based on the IDs in the Socket screen, and not on the names that you configure for the ports. If you are migrating from an X1700 to X1500 Socket, the ports above are translated in the opposite direction.
- If there are static IP addresses for the X1500 Socket WAN interfaces, we recommend that you log in to the Socket WebUI and copy the static IP configuration. These static IP addresses are not migrated to the X1700 Socket and you need to configure them again.
- If necessary, you can migrate a site from the X1700 Socket to the X1500 Socket.
- You can’t migrate X1700 Sockets when there is an add-on configured for the Socket.
To upgrade a site from an X1500 Socket to an X1700 Socket:
- In the Cato Management Application, unassign the X1500 Socket from the site.For more about unassigning a Socket, see Managing Sockets.
- From the navigation menu, click Network > Sites, and select the site with the Socket you are unassigning.
- From the navigation menu, click Site Settings > Socket.
- From the Actions menu of the site you are unassigning, select Unassign.A warning window opens.
- Click OK.
The Socket is unassigned from the site. The account receives a new Notification to activate a new Socket.
- From the navigation menu, click Network > Sites, and confirm that the Connectivity Status for the site is Disconnected.
- Change the site’s Connection Type from X1500 to X1700.
- From the navigation menu, click Network > Sites and select the site.
- Expand the General section.
- From the Connection Type drop-down menu, select Socket X1700.
- Click Save.
4. Connect the WAN1 port of the X1700 Socket (port 1) to the Internet.
The Socket automatically upgrades to the newest Socket OS version.
5. Open the notification area (in the upper-right menu bar), and expand the Activate New Socket message.
6. Click Accept. Select the site that the Socket is assigned to.
Preparing to Migrate a Socket
- In the Socket Inventory screen (Administration > Socket Inventory), make sure that the Socket shows the S/N and MAC address.